[Noisebridge-discuss] Unlocking the door via SMS

Rachel McConnell rachel at xtreme.com
Wed Mar 10 21:54:12 UTC 2010

Micah, this is awesome, but let's discuss it for a bit before you go any
further.  I am not sure I like the idea of Anyone, Anytime, having
access... here are my as yet incomplete thoughts:

1. you can get in any time if you have a key
2. you can get in any time if you have an account on pony and internet
access on your phone

these 2 have the similarity that the person arriving has been minimally
vetted by someone who's already trusted... there's a chain of trust
going on, however weak those may be.

3. you can get in any time if someone is in the space

and here, there's someone minimally vetted there to be, well, There...

If we allow access by sms, then the only thing necessary to get in is
knowing the number.  And while we could say, don't give out this number
to anyone unless you would give them a key... well, why not just make
them a key?  I mean, either the SMS option duplicates existing
functionality, in which case why bother; or it opens the floodgates.  So
I'm still not sure whether I like it or not.  I mean, technically I like
it lots.

Thoughts, anyone?

Rachel