[Noisebridge-discuss] scoop on mysql 6

Josh Berkus josh at agliodbs.com
Thu Mar 25 01:58:29 UTC 2010

> Maybe someone else has the inside story but apparently it is shelved
> for now, just like the PHP 6.x branch (coincidently..)

Oracle lost a lot of the remaining development staff during the Sun
buyout.  The remaining people aren't really able to get a new version
out on their own.

And even when Oracle launches their new MySQL strategy ... most of the 6
features were oriented around enterprise features, developed by Sun.
Which is probably NOT what Oracle wants from their MySQL.

(FYI: I worked in the MySQL Dept. at Sun while I was there)

At this point, there are really several different MySQLs; there's
Oracle's, there's Percona's, there's Google's, there's MariaDB and
there's Drizzle.  And given the politics, reconciliation between the
various branches seems unlikely.

In the meantime ... I'd be happy to teach a Postgres class at NB, if
anyone wants to take one.  And the CouchDB folks are right across the
Bay.  Or we can just drink beer and BS about the OSDB industry ...

--
                                  -- Josh Berkus
                                     PostgreSQL Experts Inc.