[Noisebridge-discuss] Why the IRC trolls are still there [drama]

Jacob Appelbaum jacob at appelbaum.net
Thu Mar 25 22:26:33 UTC 2010

Sai Emrys wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 1:08 PM, Jacob Appelbaum <jacob at appelbaum.net> wrote:
>> I don't think this makes up for the trolling and it's a sad day when a
>> bunch of homophobic jerks are tolerated in our community.
>
> Are they? Occasionally stupid humor or inappropriately gendered
> pronouns aside, I have not experienced anything I'd consider homo- (or
> whatever-) phobic at all.

Cool, I'm glad you're not impacted, don't care or otherwise aren't

> Perhaps you are overinflating the social impact of occasional trolls?

When I'm kicked banned and called a faggot from my own community, I'd
say that it's a bit depper.

>> Enjoy the hell that you've helped to create!
>
> Needlessly inflammatory, Jake. Be cool.

Today, I have had half a dozen spoofed calls to my cell phone (as my own
number, attempting to compromise my voicemail), multiple voicemails
(some claiming to be Vonguard, Alex denies it was him) harassing me,
multiple sms messages harassing me, various dramatic emails, harassment
via my personal jabber accounts, and a few other unspecified things. I
think this is a pretty hellish situation overall. You lack the
perspective of my experience, so please kindly stop telling me what to
do. I'll be cool when you stop making excuses for other people being
jerks in our community. Where's your solidarity for the other members of
our community?

I'm sorry that you think that my statement is needless inflammatory, I'm
fed up. I'm fed up with tolerance for intolerance and I don't have any
incentive to be cool. Alex shouldn't have started this thread, he didn't
bother to forward the follow up messages either.

Frankly, I'm happy to be demonized if it just ends the discussion at
this point.

Good bye,
Jake