[Noisebridge-discuss] Are you anyone's favorite person? [drama]

Sai Emrys noisebridge at saizai.com
Sat Mar 27 10:35:49 UTC 2010

I don't really have favorite *people* for philosophical reasons, but I
do have favorite/unfavorite things people *do*.

A partial listing of NB-relevant ones, in unranked random order:

Yay:
* aestetix & ani - 5MoF
* rubin - yummy vegetarian food, cleaning shit up frequently
* miloh - yummy sudo pop (... at least the recent variants o.o [0]),
also yummy food
* eric - hawt ankle-compass-bracelet-thingy, playing a really
enjoyable game of go
* jake - helping make tor work better
* seth - writing some neat EFF articles about privacy
* jake's gf whose name I'm totally blanking on - giving me honey
really quickly when I forgot my sugar pills and needed some asafp
* jeffrey - approx. same, when it happened @ NB
* all the people who did buildout, server ops, and other random
practically useful shit - useful shit is useful
* rachel - the reason I first came to NB, helped me with a sewing
project (... which I really ought to finish someday)

I could probably think of another dozen but I'm tired so my memory
indexes are performing poorly.

Boo (nameless to reduce drama):
* passive-aggression and just-plain-aggression, especially together
with inability to communicate healthily
* thinking that politeness to others is not a default expectation, but
is only for people who've specially earned it
* not cleaning up after oneself
* intentionally harassing or pranking people who aren't enjoying it
* arguing fallaciously (WP has a nice "list of logical fallacies";
don't do them please)

In general, I wish people would have a bit more empathy and
responsibility for each other, and be able to deal dispassionately
even (or rather, especially) with things that they perceive as
hurtful, so as to resolve unpleasant situations rather than exacerbate
them. But that's really not something that's particularly prevalent
about NB per se, just a disappointment I have with humans in general.
And I can't say that I've always enjoyed being empathic. :-/

- Sai

[0] I keed!