[Noisebridge-discuss] Why the IRC trolls are still there [drama]

Josh Berkus josh at agliodbs.com
Fri Mar 26 19:01:08 UTC 2010

On 3/25/10 11:50 AM, Anselm Hook wrote:
> At the same time the temperament here is unique. Normally groups of
> people don't over-react or quibble so much - especially under a rubric
> of practicing consensual support / mindfulness. In other forums folks
> often bear each others issues gracefully, putting away dirty dishes,
> or moving obstructing shoes or the like - there's a kind of grace and
> humble quality of presence that some people have that is admirable...
> but then again that is rather boring. Various online IXDA forums are a
> good example of an opposition to noisebridge.

You clearly have been involved in different communities than I have.

I find that for *any* long-running community involving more that seven
people, periodic drama is inevitable.  As are periodic trolls.

In many communities, 90% of the social problems come down to one
asshole, and subside when that person is expelled.  However, identifying
the asshole correctly often takes some time and drama, since the asshole
will frequently be one of the loudest voices calling for the expulsion
of others.  Also note that assholeism can be temporary and a result of
external problems in someone's life, so often just a sabbatical is
called for and not expulsion.

As for the IRC situation, Freenode has a board and will respond to
official communication from the NB board, *especially* if such
communication comes with a donation to secure the channel, and
corroberation by parties known to the Freenode board (like me).  The
Freenode board can then designate several people whom the NB board
selects as channel owners.

This would be the appropriate next step.

--
                                  -- Josh Berkus