[Noisebridge-discuss] SF Elementary Math Circle

Rachel Chalmers rachel at goop.org
Sat Mar 27 00:01:13 UTC 2010

On Mar 26, 2010, at 10:30 AM, Kelly wrote:

> I really like this idea.  I do project-based math education research
> at UC Berkeley, but I was not previously familiar with this
> organization.  So thanks for the exposure!

You're totally welcome! I am the Johnny Appleseed of math circles.

> In any case, we generally have events with fairly free and open access
> as well.  We have no rule against closed events which charge, but we
> also have only one rule (Be excellent).  Do you feel that there is a
> solid justification for the event being closed?

Not really; it's just Irina's preference, and she's the only qualified person offering to lead the group right now. Hint hint!

My ideal model for the math circle would indeed be free and open access, and I would hold it in the branch libraries on that basis. All I'd need is a sufficiently large pool of qualified leaders, and then I could set up a foundation like 826 Valencia, but for math instead of writing skills. Watch this space.

It occurs to me I could ask Irina to teach a group of interested people to lead math circles, but those people would need still to start with 7337 skills. Even the elementary group at BMC was working with some sophisticated math (bridges of Konigsberg, Pascal's triangle etc.)

> If you would like to
> continue pursuing this, I recommend checking out this page on the
> wiki: https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Hosting_an_Event

Thanks! And thanks for the Exploratorium idea. I should talk to the Randall Museum as well.

Rachel