[Noisebridge-discuss] Should the NB board take action wrt IRC?

Jeffrey Malone ieatlint at tehinterweb.com
Sat Mar 27 00:06:14 UTC 2010

I support Noisebridge getting a group registration.

Group registration allows us to hand out host "cloaks" to anyone who
wants more anonymity on IRC.  The cloak changes their connecting
hostname from the host they're using to connect to something like
"freenode/noisebridge" -- it allows people to hide where they're
coming from when they are registered to nickserv.

As for channel privileges, I think the current system of maintaining
ops in the channel is a bad idea.  Inevitably, someone will slip and
op someone they shouldn't -- the last channel takeover happened when
someone joined using Andy's nick and asked for ops.  It also creates a
very visible divide between those with privileges and those without.
My view is also in line with Freenode's suggested policy --
http://freenode.net/channel_guidelines.shtml
Unfortunately, the two channel owners are very rarely on IRC, and both
have expressed dismay with it.  When (not if) the channel gets taken
over again, I believe it would be best for people who are often around
to be able to handle the situation rather than harassing two people
who are busy and seemingly annoyed with the responsibility.

I personally support Jof's suggestion, that we simply get a secure
shell account on a reasonably secure server, run irsii in a screen
session connecting via ssl, and set authorized keys for the account.
This way, no single person is named as an "owner" of the channel.  We
can give access to members who want the responsibility (and not the
novelty), and when problems occur, rely on them to connect and handle
the situation.  This is essentially how our ops team currently works,
as I understand it.

It's been suggested that drama would occur in deciding who hosted this
shell account, and how secure their server would be.  I think we can
find someone we trust (perhaps Jof would be so kind to even offer?).
For additional security, we could have this client with access connect
using a "host cloak" to mask what server is being used, and only give
the host to those with access to login.  By no means foolproof, but if
people wanted to target it, they would have an extra hurdle to find
out what server to even target.

Jeffrey