[Noisebridge-discuss] Disk Array Help

Glen Jarvis glen at glenjarvis.com
Mon May 17 21:11:11 UTC 2010

I don't really deal with storage arrays much in Linux -- certainly not as an
administrator. Yet, I have a problem dropped pop in my lap at work that I
need to sort out. I need to migrate between and old storage array. Our old
array (IBM DS4800) is being phased out and we're migrating to Hitachi AMS
arrays. We're also still on an old version of Debian Etch that needs
upgraded. :(

How can I learn more about storage arrays and how the work with Linux? I
prefer a complete learning approach (starting at the beginning, ending with
the end, and lots of hard work in the middle).

I don't *really* do much with LVMs, other types of devices, RAID devices,
etc....  So, I need to start at the very beginning (i.e., I know basic
physical devices, partition tables, grub, etc. I know theoretically about
RAID 0, 1, and 5. However, I've not implemented anything with a small
personal array and certain nothing with a comercial storage array).

Any recommendations on books, materials, personal help, etc. would be
appreciated.

Cheers,

Glen
--
Whatever you can do or imagine, begin it;
boldness has beauty, magic, and power in it.

-- Goethe