[Noisebridge-discuss] July 29-31 Berkeley Open Science Summit

Joseph Jackson joseph.jackson at gmail.com
Wed May 19 20:37:31 UTC 2010

Hello to all, please join me and the Free Culture Berkeley chapter at the
First Open Science Summit.  Contact me for more details and to find out how
you can help.  http://opensciencesummit.eventbrite.com/

<http://opensciencesummit.eventbrite.com/>All proceeds (if we manage to do
anything more than break even) go to support Biocurious.org   the first Bay
Area community lab/hackerspace for biology.  Thanks,

Joseph

Open Science Summit 2010:  Updating the Social Contract for Science 2.0

July 29-31  International House Berkeley
opensciencesummit.com<http://www.opensciencesummit.com/>

Synthetic Biology, Gene Patents, Open Data, Open Access, Microfinance

for Science, DIY science, DIY Biology, Alternative Funding for Science, Open

Source Drugs, Patent Pools, Open Health/Medicine, Patient Advocacy for
Innovation

Ready for a rapid, radical reboot of the global innovation system for a
truly free and open 21st century knowledge economy?  Join us at the first
Open Science Summit, an attempt to gather all stakeholders who want to
liberate our scientific and technological commons to enable an new era of
decentralized, distributed innovation to solve humanity's greatest
challenges.

In the last ten years, a collection of burgeoning movements has begun the
herculean task of overhauling the outmoded institutions and worldviews that
make up our global scientific governance system. Proponents of the Access to
Knowledge movement (A2K) have united around the principle that data and
knowledge are “anti-rivalrous,” the value of information increases as it
spreads.

Open Access Journals have demonstrated a new path for publishing that
utilizes the power of the internet to instantly distribute ideas instead of
imposing artificial scarcity to prop up old business models. “Health 2.0”
entrepreneurs are seeking to apply the lessons of e-commerce to empower
patients.

However, these different efforts are each working on a piece of the problem
without a view of the whole. It is not sufficient or realistic to tweak one
component of the innovation system (eg, patent policy) and assume the others
stay static. Instead, dynamic, interactive, nonlinear change is unfolding.

The Open Science Summit is the first and only event to consider what happens
throughout the entire innovation chain as reform in one area influences the
prospects in others. In the best case scenario, a virtuous circle of
mutually reinforcing shifts toward transparency and collaboration could
unleash hitherto untapped reserves of human ingenuity.