[Noisebridge-discuss] Elevator Call Radios for Noisebridge

Mitch Altman maltman23 at hotmail.com
Fri May 28 06:58:02 UTC 2010

Hi Everyone,

I bought and donated two walkie talkies for Noisebridge.

There are two of these.  One lives inside Noisebridge on the third floor (currently on the shelf of one of the electronics benches), and is always on, with the volume all the way up, and is sitting in its battery charger.  The other is hanging next to the elevator on the first floor (always off, to conserve batteries).

Our elevator actually works well, but it requires that all of the doors be manually closed on all floors.  The doors are not always all the way closed.

So, if someone needs or wants to use the elevator, but it doesn't come when they press the elevator call button, they can now radio up for help.

If you want to call up for help, here's what to do:

1) Turn up the volume control knob all the way to turn on the walkie talkie.

2) Press the little Ring button with the musical note (which makes a ring noise).

3) Press the black Talk button on the left side and talk.

4) Someone should answer, and after you nicely ask them to please make the elevator work, turn down the volume control knob till it clicks off.

Every once in awhile, since the battery will run out on the walkie talkie on the first floor, someone will need to trade walkie talkies:

Bring up the walkie talkie from the first floor up to Noisebridge and place it in the charger -- make sure the volume control is turned up all of the way.

Bring the (fully charged) walkie talkie from Noisebridge down to the first floor, and hang it in front of the elevator -- make sure the volume control is turned off (to conserve batteries).

I created a page on our website for the walkie talkies:

https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Elevator_Radio

Mitch.