[Noisebridge-discuss] Another Hub Banished to Obsolescence

Andy Isaacson adi at hexapodia.org
Tue May 11 03:37:37 UTC 2010

On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 08:32:51PM -0700, Jonathan Lassoff wrote:
> With many thanks to cm1 who brought in some new switches, I've banished
> the hub that was on top of the wall by the entrance.
>
> switch4.noise is now online.
>
> Bah! Be gone, ancient segment-bridging Ethernet hubs!

Oh man, now I've gotta MAC stuff before I get to snoop all your packets.
Snif snif.

> There's also a 12-port 1000base-T switch. Can anyone think of some fun
> applications for gigabit Ethernet?

I've been meaning to build a 4-8 node storage cluster and try out Ceph
at (moderate) scale:

http://ceph.newdream.net/about/
http://kerneltrap.org/Linux/Ceph_Distributed_Network_File_System
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-ceph/index.html