[Noisebridge-discuss] USD for EUR without changer's fee.

Jason Dusek jason.dusek at gmail.com
Wed May 19 17:00:15 UTC 2010

  On the advice of someone not on the list who reads
  the archives, I set up an account with XE to do the exchange.

  Their account procedure is somewhat involved. They want high
  quality photos of your identifying documents -- in my case, a
  passport and bank statement -- and at least one such document
  must state your physical address. Then you have a short call
  (mine was yesterday morning and lasted 6 minutes) in which
  they ask you to confirm your identity and describe how you'll
  be using the account.

  I am not sure what happened between noon and about nine
  yesterday. At about nine there was a blinding light and I
  found myself lying in my bed at home. My phone buzzed shortly
  thereafter; a new mail arrived, saying my account had been
  approved. I added my and the University of Utrecht's bank
  account information this morning and performed my first ever
  wire.

  XE has a good exchange, a few percent better than PayPal or
  banks. They also have a wealth of transfer options -- I could
  have sent my money to the Netherlands with and electronic
  funds transfer instead of a wire, for example.

  Examining the exchange rate data, I can see why no European
  members of NB have stepped forward to trade Euros with me. The
  Euro has taken a heavy fall and probably doesn't have too much
  further to go.

--
Jason Dusek
Linux User #510144 | http://counter.li.org/