[Noisebridge-discuss] surface mount soldering equipment at NB?

meredith scheff satiredun at gmail.com
Sat May 29 02:19:38 UTC 2010

I've been using the stiring/hot plate thingie to much succes. The one from
the science area. I don't know what it's really called.
I know Noisebridge can't have nice things, but, uh..I do a lot of SMT, and
it broke my heart to see that nice tip made fairly useless. I'd love to go
in with peeps on a new one that maybe was on some sort of nice-things shelf
for peeps who know how to use Nice Things.

On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 5:54 PM, miloh <froggytoad at gmail.com> wrote:

> Anthony* at FLG geex used a teflon pancake griddle last year for the
> run of ~100 high output led light controllers used in the Soma
> sculpture.  I don't know if they used that for the second more recent
> run of smd based light boards.
>
> If the part count and board to run are low in quantity, try using a
> regular iron and some rosin paste.  The fine narrow tips for smd
> dissipate heat and don't always provide a good purchase to effectively
> transfer heat, if you are soldering typical smd parts, one of the
> chisel tip xytronix irons should work fine without destroying
> components.
>

> -rma
>

> On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 5:32 PM, Sai Emrys <noisebridge at saizai.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 5:25 PM, Gian Pablo Villamil
> > <gian.pablo at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> eg. a hot plate
> >
> > Pretty sure I saw one of these. But I've never used it so I defer to
> > others as to operability.
> >
> > - Sai

doing stuff and making things
---
"The function of all art ... is an extension of the function of the visual
brain, to acquire knowledge; ...artists are, in a sense, neurologists who
study the capacities of the visual brain with techniques that are unique to
them. ." -Semir Zeki