[Noisebridge-discuss] computer interfacing

travis+ml-noisebridge at subspacefield.org travis+ml-noisebridge at subspacefield.org
Sat Nov 13 19:38:59 UTC 2010

So, I've often wondered what the best way to control a computer with
simple NO/NC inputs would be.

I used to rig buttons and such to the parallel port.

But computers don't have parallel ports much any more.

I also used to hook them to RS-232 ports.

But those are going away too.

So what's left?

Last I heard, several years ago, the USB drivers were still somewhat
flaky.  Is it better now?

Also, HOW exactly do I hook up to USB?  With parallel it was just some
passive circuits.  (Perhaps the answer here is "use Arduino")

And, finally, how do I avoid polling loops?  (Perhaps again the
answer is "use arduino").

And, for low-power scenarios, is there any obvious way to make a
system that waits in a very low power mode, then wakes up on certain
events?

Things that come to mind are rigging something to soft power-on (can
this be done on a laptop?) or Wake-on-LAN (but that requires something
capable of sending custom ethernet packets, which itself might consume
a fair amount of power).
--
Good code works on most inputs; correct code works on all inputs.