[Noisebridge-discuss] There are twenty people at Noisebridge

Rubin Abdi rubin at starset.net
Thu Nov 25 08:38:52 UTC 2010

20:28, November 24th, 2010, at Noisebridge there were...

Total people in the space			  20
People in a class				   6
People jumping on a couch			   4
Playing computer games in his corner		   1
First time in the space				   2
Wanting to become a member			   1
Had donated money to the space			   0
Given money to NB in exchange for a drink	   3
Due paying members				   3
Non-members who knew the space is low on funds	   1
Non-members I've seen at past meetings		   1

The point I am making here is you all can whine and moan on the list and
at the meetings about anything that's not ok with the space, but the
majority of folks who use the space have no idea why. In fact it's a
safe bet to say that many people who use the space haven't got the
slightest clue how the space operates, what drives it, how they can
help, if help is needed.

The issue isn't people are uneducated as to what's going on and the
needs of the space, but that there are so few of us who are ok with flat
out communicating face to face directly to others who come here.

Thirty minutes after I did this little census to prove a point to
Frantisek (and alienating 19 people by asking them "Are you a due paying
member?" and "When was the last time you donated a monetary value to the
space?") someone from the class going on in the back came up and asked
me about becoming a member. After I saw his frustration in the becoming
a member process, I also pointed out that he could just simply donate
money and not care about membership, at which he asked about Paypaling
in some cash.

Go ahead and have someone else print up your poster and stick it on the
door, but remember that maintaining a community requires real life
interaction. And you can't create interaction without action, something
this mailing list has a hard time producing.

God bless.

--
Rubin Abdi
rubin at starset.net