[Noisebridge-discuss] usb 'dead drops' at noisebridge?

epsas at evil-wire.org epsas at evil-wire.org
Wed Nov 3 17:44:46 UTC 2010

On Wed, Nov 03, 2010 at 09:44:31AM -0700, travis+ml-noisebridge at subspacefield.org wrote:
> Another idea that has fascinated me is the concept of a wireless dead
> drop.

I could see an access point that is set up to be a captive portal - all http traffic  is redirected to a web interface for uploading or downloading "dropped" files.

The problem with this is that the dead drop would then be subject to either interception by a technically capable oppressor, or bare traffic analysis using MAC addresses or cameras for associating users with "dropped" files.   With a wired/usb dead drop, an oppressor would only know that an individual had used a dead drop for a certain period of time.  The latter is a big enough risk already.

That said, I am not sure if a usb dead drop would be a convenient tool for the online samizdat.