[Noisebridge-discuss] Fw: hackbus, mobilebridge

Mike Higashi mhigashi at gmail.com
Thu Nov 4 21:43:23 UTC 2010

On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 11:54 AM, Ronald Cotoni <setient at gmail.com> wrote:

> I happen to know a bit about cars.  getting 10 mpg is not really that worthy
> of a goal.  You could also look into any diesel SUV/Pickup trucks.

There are also full-sized vans (as opposed to minivans) that have
diesel engines,
like the Ford Econoline / E-Series. These have the advantage over pickup trucks
of having fully enclosed and lockable cargo bays.  Mechanically, they are based
on full-sized pickup trucks, so have similar properties.

Full-sized vans can be divided into two groups:  passenger vans and cargo vans.
Passenger vans have windows all around, and typically have bench seats in the
rear that can be removed for more cargo space. (Some commuter vans may have
fancier bucket seats.)

Cargo vans are like the vehicles cable television installers use, no
side windows
for the cargo bay and only two seats up front.

The main problem with getting a used vehicle for only $3K is that it'll probably
be old enough that it'll need maintenance.  The best suggestion I can offer is
to recruit someone for your team who's a good mechanic, the kind of person
who has no problem picking up parts from a junkyard and installing them without
paying for an outside mechanic to do it.

Mike