[Noisebridge-discuss] can anyone help me repair a Asus EEE netbook this weekend?

jim jim at well.com
Sat Nov 6 17:17:43 UTC 2010

   you can use way under rated resistors but for
very short times. for simple tests use a higher
resistance value to limit current.
   where you really need the correct impedance,
stick the under rated resistor in place and you
almost always have a number of seconds of use:
the finger test tells you when to stop (and put
another similar resistor in the hot one's place.
   use several identical resistors in parallel:
add the power ratings but divide the resistance
value by the number of resistors. if you have
four 3W 80 Ohm resistors in parallel, you've
got the equivalent of one 12W 20 Ohm resistor.
   Almost never do you need a resistance value
that's an exact match; almost always you can
work with something that's from 20% to factor
of 2 off--try to err on the high side: you
have a system impedance of 30 Ohms, go as high
as 60 but not much lower than 24.