[Noisebridge-discuss] [drama] Frantisek is going to stop living at Noisebridge starting tonight.

Jacob Appelbaum jacob at appelbaum.net
Tue Nov 16 19:18:46 UTC 2010

On 11/16/2010 01:36 PM, Rachel McConnell wrote:
> Jake, you're overreacting, and you've set up a straw man here.

I do not believe it is a straw man, I have asked many questions and
presented many points. Feel free to address them point by point on the
list or perhaps to just discuss them with Frantisek in person.

In any case: Who outed a person by name on a mailing list and in effect
created a possibly heavy handed punitive measure that is long lasting?

Are you aware of all the issues at hand here? Citizenship, etc?

I think that was a specific dick move that will have MAJOR issues for
Frantisek. A serious bummer all around and I guess that wasn't even a
consideration. If I thought that it was seriously done out of malice,
I'd be livid beyond belief. I'm giving Al the benefit of the doubt but
I'm still calling a spade, a spade.

> First: I do not have an opinion about Frantisek living at Noisebridge
> quite yet, I have to think about it more.  I do want to say, though,
> Jake, that I don't read Al's letter as being compassionless.  We agreed
> when we signed the lease that Noisebridge wouldn't be a place for anyone
> to live in.  That's partly an economic reason but it's partly a moral
> one.  We made an agreement.

I agree that we made an agreement. I also understand that we make
exceptions to the agreement.

> Also it is in no way Al's responsibility to find Frantisek somewhere to
> live.  It is Frantisek's responsibility to find somewhere to live.

In America, welfare is something a person is on and in other countries,
it's something a society has as a general property.

> I suppose it depends on how one defines the problem, as to whether it's
> easier to agree with Al or Jake:
>
> 1. SOMEONE IS LIVING AT NOISEBRIDGE!!!!
>
> 2. SOMEONE IS TRYING TO MAKE FRANTISEK SLEEP ON THE STREET!!!!
>

> Finally, here are other places to sleep in San Francisco than
> Noisebridge.  Until I hear from Frantisek that he has tried to find
> another place to live but has failed for whatever reason, I'm not
> assuming that THE STREET is his only other option.

I've heard that he does sleep many other places and generally tries to
hack it until it doesn't work.

> Frantisek, what other avenues have you investigated?  I had the
> impression that you stayed for a while at least at a Buddhist temple of
> some kind?  Is that the same kind of situation as NB where they really
> prefer that you not do so but have let it slide for a while b/c you are
> awesome?

A good question.

I wonder if it's really fair to assume that Frantisek wants to talk
about this on the list?

I spoke up because I do not assume this is a safe space for him to speak
out.

Perhaps it's a good idea to talk to him in person - especially if you
want to help.

All the best,
Jake