[Noisebridge-discuss] Bench grinder - dressing tool?

John Magolske listmail at b79.net
Thu Nov 18 07:15:40 UTC 2010

* Heiko Panther <heiko.panther at web.de> [101116 19:35]:
> The bench grinder's wheels are pretty dull and clogged up with
> material that it shouln't be used with. Is anyone aware of the
> existence of a dressing tool?

A Spur-Style Dresser (McMaster # 4528A1), would probably be the best
bet. Go to http://mcmaster.com and put that number in to look it up.
Basically, you press the spur wheels up against the grinding wheel
while it's spinning and it strips away the periphery of the wheel
leaving a fresh sharp surface & a flat face to grind with. It makes
a messy bunch of abrasive dust, and of course be sure to wear eye
protection (like a face shield).

Also note that bench grinders are primarily meant for grinding ferrous
metals (steel, stainless-steels, iron...). Aluminum & the like will
clog the wheel. I saw someone have a go at plywood with that poor
grinder... What would probably be much better suited to our needs
would be a belt sander, like McMaster # 4566A31 or # 4715A61 , as
these are able to "grind" a much wider variety of materials (wood,
steel, aluminum, plastic, etc).

I mention McMaster not just because they have a huge selection & it
can be convenient to order from them, but also because their site
makes for a nice on-line tool & supplies encyclopedia. One possible
local source for that dresser tool would be http://centerhardware.com
in SOMA, not far from the 4th & King Caltrain station on Mariposa,
415-861-1800 (awesome & well-stocked for fabricator types).

John

--
John Magolske
http://B79.net/contact