[Noisebridge-discuss] Wiki spam

Andy Isaacson adi at hexapodia.org
Thu Nov 18 19:28:24 UTC 2010

On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 11:15:58AM -0800, Robert Fletcher wrote:
> Yeah, I cleaned up about 30 pages yesterday.  It would be really nice if we
> implemented some way to prevent this.  I know you can use captchas for
> signups on mediawiki, but I'm not sure about anonymous edits.  And now
> looking at my feeds today it looks like there are almost 200 edits.  At
> first glance the bulk of them are spam.  We're going to have to do something
> about this.

Thanks for the cleanup help, Rob.  I think I've gotten most of the spam.
I suppose we could captcha anonymous edits, but it's not much of a
barrier -- Mechanical Turk style captcha-solvers are common.

I'm not happy with the idea of disallowing anon edits, although I won't
rule it out categorically.

Obviously offsite links by anon editors are, shall we say, highly
suspect.  Seems like a spam filter of some kind is in order; anybody
have experience with them and want to help set on up for Noisebridge?

-andy