[Noisebridge-discuss] Wiki spam

L E lexein-esc at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 18 22:43:06 UTC 2010

----- Original Message ----

> From: Sai <noisebridge at saizai.com>
> FWIW I fully agree w/ Leif there. It's a good thing to lower the
> barrier to  constructive participation as much as possible.
>
> This should be handleable  with some sort of content based filtration /
> extra CAPTCHA trigger.
>
> -  Sai

I realize now that I forgot to reply-all my common-login reasoning,
so for archival purposes, here it is:

If the correlation of people-on-the-NB-list with
people-who-edit-the-wiki-in-good-faith is 100%, then there's no _practical_
reason not to require login to edit.   Registration requires CAPTCHA (once).
Nobody has to use their real name to edit the wiki, and it provides _better_
anonymity than IP addresses to all the other regular users.

In the spirit of honoring anonymity, while blocking spammers, we could offer a
single common username for noisebridgers who choose anonymity to use: anon,
password anon.  Or nb, password nb.

Note that while I support the _goal_ of assuming the good faith of everyone,
there is still a lock on the front door of the building.  But all paid members
get a physical key to it if they want.  This doesn't seem different, to me, than

requiring login, but offering a common login for paid members to use who choose
to remain anonymous while editing.

- Lex