[Noisebridge-discuss] Wiki spam

Leif Ryge leif at synthesize.us
Thu Nov 18 23:22:50 UTC 2010

On 11/18/2010 02:43 PM, L E wrote:
> [...]

As has been pointed out, we really aren't talking about anonymity here
at all - we're talking about non-logged-in edits, which actually
publicly reveal more about the editor (their IP address) than a
logged-in account with a pseudonyms does.

Reiterating points from my previous message:

1) Requiring a login prevents many edits. I have an account, but I don't
want to use it (or make another) on every public terminal I edit the
wiki from.

2) Requiring a login does not stop spam, unless you also make it
prohibitively difficult to create an account (which would exacerbate
problem #1).

~leif

p.s.: Has anyone seen my Voight-Kampff machine around the space? I seem
to have misplaced it.