[Noisebridge-discuss] Type K thermocouples and/or wire

Jonathan Foote jtfoote at ieee.org
Sun Nov 21 01:32:54 UTC 2010

A good temperature-controlled iron has a beefy heating element: this
is why it heats things up much better, but it will also quickly burn
out if run open-loop. Cheap pencil irons are basically underpowered by
design so they won't burn up (this is why pros avoid them). So there
is little point trying to retrofit those unless you upgrade the
element as well, which means you'll need to add insulation, and good
thermal feedback, and heat-rated wiring, and...

If you are keen on this how about retrofitting the reflow toaster oven
with a PID temp controller
http://www.omega.com/ppt/pptsc.asp?ref=CN7500
or building a hot plate a la Mightyohm?
http://mightyohm.com/blog/2009/01/diy-pid-controlled-soldering-hotplate/

Another fun project might be to make a spot welder. Could probably use
a microwave transformer in reverse...