[Noisebridge-discuss] December is Noisebridge Goes Apeshit on PCBs Month

Jake jake at spaz.org
Thu Nov 25 19:01:08 UTC 2010

I have etched many a board with the iron-on toner-transfer process using
glossy inkjet paper on a laser printer.

I will bring my teflon-coated iron and my mad skillz, and even my bottle
of etchant and fancy funnel, if someone else will supply the paper.
(i will bring like 2 sheets of paper)

It takes Glossy paper meant for Inkjets, and the cheap kind!  not the
fancy kind with the waterproof backing, that just won't work.  It needs to
be actual paper, with glossyness on the front.

some people use glossy magazines!!!  (i have never done this)
http://www.riccibitti.com/pcb/pcb.htm

this person uses Kinko's glossy paper (5 cents per sheet)
http://www.instructables.com/id/Two-sided-PCB-using-toner-method/

this person uses Epson photo quality glossy paper for inkjet printers
http://homepage.eircom.net/~ei9gq/pcb.html

these people recommend bought a laser printer just for this, and they
recommend Kodak Ultima Picture Paper "High Gloss" 71 lb (270g/m2) $1/ea!
http://electrons.psychogenic.com/modules/arms/art/10/PrintedCircuitBoardPCBHOWTOAnIllustratedGuide.php

I recommend AGAINST the "blue plastic stuff" that is specifically sold for
etching boards - it sucks!  at least, that's my experience with it.

Anyway I have done this with several kinds of glossy paper and I will help
anyone who can get their design to print out on a laser printer onto it.
Set up your software so that holes get printed as white, so that
there is a hollow ring of copper where you need to drill holes.
If your pads print filled-in you will be crying, trust me!!!

I will also bring my pocket-drill which is just a cordless dremel
with wires instead of the battery for minimal weight.  When you're
hand-drilling a ton of holes the tool must be as light as possible.
I will bring a couple drillbits but other people must bring also!!!

that is, when we decide "when" this is happening.

-jake

---- original mess ----

I'm sure there would be interest (from me at least) in doing some
traditional self-etching (it's been about 15 years since I last did it)
or some CNC based PCB fabbing.

Ian

Rachel McConnell wrote:
> What, you want to go through this whole process and then NOT etch the
> resulting boards by hand?  Some DIY-ers you are!  Pfft.
>
> In all seriousness, I've been wanting to do something like this for some
> time, but I don't have a specific project in mind so that makes it
> harder for me to motivate.  If the dates end up good I will try to come!
>
> Rachel
>
> Ian McKellar wrote:
>>   Sounds great. Mondays aren't ideal for me but if that's what works
for
>> other people then I can do it. I'd prefer any non-Friday weeknights.
>>
>> Ian
>>
>> Jonathan Foote wrote:
>>> OK, looks like there's some interest. Why don't we declare December to
>>> be  "Noisebridge goes Apeshit on Printed Circuit Boards" month. Let's
>>> do three
>>> workshops:
>>>
>>> 1. Getting started with EagleCAD
>>> 2. Getting Stuff Done with EagleCAD and Not Punching Out the Monitor,