[Noisebridge-discuss] Source for a used Metcal?

Tymm Twillman tymmothy at gmail.com
Mon Nov 29 02:21:05 UTC 2010

My original Metcal I pieced together from a PS2E-01 power supply ($60-$70) on Ebay and a new $99 handpiece / magnetic base replacement for an MX500 from a dealer (HMC Electronics, IIRC)... Spent about $50 initially for tips to get started from other auctions; my total came to like $210 or so. not sure if that's out of your range though...

looks like there's a tested RFG-30 power supply for a little under $70 right now up there...

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=66275.0 has some info on the differences on the power supplies (you may already know all of that).

i was actually really happy with a run-of-the-mill Hakko 937 for a long time before my metcal (and actually still sometimes find its chisel tips easier to use for narrow pitch SMD than Metcal's drag hoof, though I also solder at a higher temp on the Hakko).
They often come along cheaply on ebay...  though admittedly for heavy ground planes & the like, they just won't get anywhere near the Metcals without cooking things.

I've heard good things about Pace irons, but haven't actually used them.

what specifically are you working on?  do you need something that can maintain temp while cranking the watts, or just something good for SMD work, or...?