[Noisebridge-discuss] interesting projects

Sean Cusack sean.p.cusack at gmail.com
Tue Nov 30 20:50:40 UTC 2010

On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 12:29 PM, Seth David Schoen <schoen at loyalty.org>wrote:

> This might be a bad thing ecologically, but I have wondered whether
> someone could make money by arbitraging electricity between utility
> customers who are paying different rates.  I haven't tried to
> calculate whether this is plausible, though.

Actually, this was the core of Enron's business if memory serves me right,
and I wouldn't be surprised if other power companies do this now. Yes - you
can make money. FYI, I'll kick your ass if you get control of a power grid
too and then artificially start shortening supply by turning off power
plants tho :).

Are futures of US electricity available for public trading though? (I know
electric companies can trade power futures with each other..."power
futures"...that sounds like something out of a kick ass action flick). If
they aren't, I'm not sure how you could arb this without having control of a
distribution grid as well.

Sean