[Noisebridge-discuss] interesting projects

Seth David Schoen schoen at loyalty.org
Tue Nov 30 21:00:34 UTC 2010

travis+ml-noisebridge at subspacefield.org writes:

> I think a good fuel cell system might be able to make money by buying
> (and storing chemically) at night, when the rates are low, and
> converting back to electricity and selling during the day, when demand
> is high.
>
> It would depend, however, on the day/night rate differential; it
> has to exist, and be high enough, and the fuel cell has to be
> efficient enough, and durable enough so that the profits exceed
> any wear or upkeep (capital depreciation).

Utilities themselves do this; I used to go to school nearby one

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Northfield_Mountain#The_pumped-storage_hydroelectricity_facility

I guess I was thinking about doing this between individual residential
customers rather than from one time to another or from one region to
another, though.

Do utilities charge residential customers a different rate depending
on the time of day?

--
Seth David Schoen <schoen at loyalty.org> | Qué empresa fácil no pensar en
     http://www.loyalty.org/~schoen/   | un tigre, reflexioné.