[Noisebridge-discuss] [Rack] DSL modem changes

Jonathan Lassoff jof at thejof.com
Thu Oct 14 22:11:56 UTC 2010

On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 11:40 PM, Dr. Jesus <j at hug.gs> wrote:
> http://code.google.com/p/nbops/issues/detail?id=6

I was working with Dr. J on moving the modem into the basement last
night. There's a perfect spot along the horizontal to the MPOE that
has an outlet. We spliced in a two-port 8P8P jack at that point, so
that we could do something like:

MPOE ----> Jack #1 ----> (POTS) Modem (Ethernet) ----> Back into Jack
#2 ----> Jack at the DJ Booth ----> Jack #01 ----> Patch Panel --->
switch2.noise

However, after Dr. J left I realized that the pinouts on the jacks
were all messed up, there was all kinds of mixes of 568A and 568B,
sometimes in the same jack. I don't think this was ever realized since
we were only using pins 4 & 5 before.

So I re-punched down the whole stretch to be 568B the whole way
through, but was having a problem getting Ethernet link from the modem
downstairs to the switch upstairs.

So, as a fallback I put the modem back under the wire rack by the DJ
booth to see if it would improve the situation.
It seems like the modem is growing increasingly confused and just
stops forwarding traffic after some period of time. We'll have a
replacement soon.