[Noisebridge-discuss] on games as an introduction to deeper tech

travis+ml-noisebridge at subspacefield.org travis+ml-noisebridge at subspacefield.org
Mon Oct 4 20:17:08 UTC 2010

On Mon, Oct 04, 2010 at 08:06:06PM +0000, Jason Dusek wrote:
>   I think this is almost right. People should be able to
>   contribute to the game world at a different level if they can
>   program; it lets them do more than mine or fish. However, if
>   it actually lets them "own" then you'll have a pretty narrow
>   community on your hands.

I suppose it depends on how competitive it is, whether it can be fun
to not be at the top, etc.

I think it's worth examining, not from the "how can I make the most
popular game" perspective (there's many corps doing that), but from
the "how can I make learning fun again" perspective.

I'd say the number of great weiqi/go/budan players is pretty small,
too, but that doesn't make it any less excellent, IMHO.

I've been thinking about this lately, how to make computer security
accessible to more people.  Right now once you get into DEP & ALSR
and stuff, it just requires so much study before you can contribute...

Perhaps, like MIX is used to teach assembler, a simpler system could
be used to teach security.

BTW, I think that the Magic-like trading card games could easily be
turned onto online games and the complex rules might lend themselves
to interesting programmability options.

Perhaps a FPS/RPG game could gradually increase in difficulty to the point
where human reflexes aren't fast enough, and you move to macros and
eventually programming an agent/avatar and anticipating future events
with code is required.