[Noisebridge-discuss] Ready to restart Arduino Thursdays at Noisebridge

Glen Jarvis glen at glenjarvis.com
Tue Oct 5 01:13:56 UTC 2010

As a total spin off question, I was thinking over the weekend of a
particular problem that I have. This is a long term -- way off in the future
problem. However, as we're talking about cool arduino stuff, I was wondering
if anyone had any ideas.

I am trying to find coordinates between my arduinos (i.e., the position of
each arduino compared to each other in 3D space). Imagine many arduinos
"plugged together" (daisy chained in different configurations) -- I am
thinking a two wire communication daisy chained between arduinos. Sometimes
an arduino will have two arduinos plugged into it, sometimes three --
whatever the bus can handle. Other times, it may have one. Or it may be a
'leaf node' that has none plugged into it, but it's plugged into something
else. Imagine plugging this in as you would connect nodes in graph theory.
The valency of the network would be limited by the bus size and number of
plugs needed to send a signal.

I'd like to have a very accurate way to represent the arduinos in 3D space
relative to each other in real time. If the user picks up an arduino and
moves it into a new location, it should be possible to read off the change
in 3D space. (GPS not necessary -- only with respect to each other).

I know this is a very hard problem. And, I know we can triangulate one
location with respect to another. However, what type of signal? A radio
signal -- some type of very hacked xbee communication with radio strength?
 Because the system already has to have a wire between systems, can we use
that to our advantage instead of having to use wireless? What's simple but
effective?

Does anyone have any ideas? I won't have time to actually "do" anything with
any idea as I'm suddenly *way* too busy and booked up until at least
December. And, I'm already behind on a commitment I have with the ML
group....  So, just looking for ideas at this stage.. to think about while
I'm showering, on BART or bicycling.

Cheers,

Glen

On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 5:55 PM, Daniel Garcia <dgarcia at dgarcia.net> wrote:

> On Oct 4, 2010, at 5:02 PM, Michael Shiloh wrote:
> > Me too! I have yet to do anything wireless, but am anxious to try. Do
> > you have any modules?
>
> I have a pair of xbee modules, and the usb explorer and a fio (arduino
> w/xbee mountings) - but I got the series 1 models, which don't do mesh
> networking.
>
> So far, i've just been using it for wirelessly programming - which has been
> fun, but not what I got them for.  Once I finish up my current project (an
> led clock) i'll probably go back to looking at using the xbees to talk to
> each other.
>
> I think if I want to play with mesh though, i'll have to go with the series
> 2.5.
>
> --Dg

Whatever you can do or imagine, begin it;
boldness has beauty, magic, and power in it.

-- Goethe