[Noisebridge-discuss] [drama] Motion to block me from participating in press@

Sai sai at saizai.com
Fri Oct 8 03:05:58 UTC 2010

On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 9:53 PM, Jacob Appelbaum <jacob at appelbaum.net> wrote:

> You de-anonymized him? How many times has that happened now?

Only to the extent that I mentioned the name he is known by within NB when
linking to his appearance in a televised story in which he was cited by
another name, thus increasing the searchability marginally (i.e. by the same
amount as would have happened had I posted only the bare link and someone
else had responded to it saying "oh hey there's dr j").

I'm not aware of any other times; I am conscious of privacy issues and try
to avoid doing so.

>  Personally, I
> think that it's a little weird that you're so eager but hey, lots of
> people like CBT. ;-)

I think we feel the same way about each others' kinks. YKIOK too. :-)

> I get the feeling that you didn't have malicious intent - is that the case
> Sai?

My intent was only to say "hey look at this story, yay to our peeps for
participating", as a congratulatory thing.

I was frankly surprised that he did not have them call him by handle, but
that was his choice, not mine. I deliberately did not refer to him other
than he is known in this context, to prevent easy textual linking of the two
names. Anyone watching the video who's met him in NB would have zero
information gain from me. I agree that it increases the linkability by
search, and I apologized to him for it, though I think it's only marginal
and contingent at that.

I fully agree it's not cool to out someone, and I think some other NBers can
attest to my having kept their secrets, including alternate identities (...
except that that'd kinda be a catch-22 to mention, so maybe they won't say
anything about it :-P).

> In any case - why don't you two just agree not to work with the press at
> the same time?

I was not actually aware that he was participating in this story until I got
the email back from the reporter, on which he was CCed, and saw the final
video. He did not respond to the press@ thread that I can recall, nor was he
mentioned as a probable source to line up. You should have as much
visibility to that as I, since you're on press at .

I have no quarrel with or enmity for Dr J, though it seems he feels
differently.

- Sai