[Noisebridge-discuss] [DRAMA] Bedbugs in SF

Ceren Ercen ceren at ercen.com
Fri Oct 8 04:42:24 UTC 2010

FWIW, I will put $100 down as a bet that we have at least bedbug eggs
in the couches. It's statistically nearly impossible for this to not
be the case, especially being in the middle of high-density housing.
Those little fuckers can and will travel 100m a night to nibble on
delicious bloods, and they literally can survive a year without
eating.  They follow CO2 exhalations and heat.

For anyone that's concerned, just get used to dealing with bedbug
mitigation/prevention like one would ants/termites/fleas. Really, you
californians are so spoiled with your lack of bi-montly fire-anthill
poisonings, annual termite inspections, flea-killing diatomaceous
earth yard-dustings. (oh god I do NOT miss florida)

http://imgur.com/6CYcZ.jpg <- bedbug on mattress fibres.

Bedbugs, as adults, look like a very flat, small lentil. completely
visible to the naked eye, except when they crawl between the fibres of
a mattress - and they can, because they're so flat.

Your best bet is to occasionally check your mattresses' seams for tiny
little blood poo spots, and surprise them with evening inspections.

Taking a steam iron, HOT, around the edges of the mattresses is a very
effective to kill both them and their eggs. Heat is your best option,
both in washing your clothing, and treating un-washable items like
furniture.

Five star hotels have to deal with this stuff, so do we. And this is
better handled as a practical matter, and not one of "oh god oh god
don't tell me". Sorta like STDs.

Anyone have a hand-held draperies-style steam iron? I don't know if
the heat guns would melt the polyester. it wouldn't hurt to give the
couch and cushions a going-over with a heat blast, I'd be happy to do
or help in the off-hours.