[Noisebridge-discuss] a networked sound system idea

Lamont Lucas lamont at cluepon.com
Mon Oct 11 19:18:10 UTC 2010

  On 10/11/10 11:37 AM, miloh wrote:

>     Challenges:
>     Can someone make a generic module which will plug together with
>      any speaker and power amp combo?  Would be nice to have a box
>      which is "portable".
>     Can it be done with an arduino?
>

> There are application notes describing how Maxim's TINI chip and some
> DAC's to make (probably crappy sounding) networked speakers -- circa
> 2004.
> http://www.maxim-ic.com/app-notes/index.mvp/id/3266

Also, check out my personal favorites, the Stellaris line of ARM chips,
now owned by TI:

http://focus.ti.com/graphics/mcu/stellaris/Stellaris9000_400.jpg

It's an ARM chip, you'd want to program it in C, but the (free, and you
get the source) driver libraries it comes with makes even complicated
tasks pretty easy, leveraging a whole bunch of built in peripherals.

The 9000 series is a good choice as it's got an integrated 10/100 mbit
MAC/PHY, built in ieee1588 timing (a low power alternative to NTP
optimized for microcontrollers good to the sub microsecond), enough
flash for samples and enough ram for buffering, and speaks i2s
(Integrated Interchip Sound), which is like i2c but specifically
designed to send PCM data to DACs for creating CD quality sound.  The
application notes include two different ways to get a lightweight IP
stack going, and from there you could just blindly shove data from a UDP
socket out the i2s, or implement some sort of timing to make sure they
stay in sync.

All of the 9000 series chips are less than $10 in quantity, and other
than an external MagJack and DAC with built in amp, all the parts you'd
need.

The evaluation kit would let you get the entire app up and working, and
is $99 at mouser:

http://focus.ti.com/graphics/tool/EK_LM3S9B92_8_09.jpg

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Texas-Instruments/EKC-LM3S9B92/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtLck3p7ZBovS6coEaHmDWX

And here's the horrible TI webpage for their lm3s9000 series:
http://focus.ti.com/mcu/docs/mculuminaryfamilynode.tsp?sectionId=95&tabId=2597&familyId=1756&docCategoryId=10&viewType=mostrecent&paramCriteria=no