[Noisebridge-discuss] a networked sound system idea

Casey Callendrello c1 at caseyc.net
Mon Oct 11 21:00:35 UTC 2010

On 10/11/2010 11:36 AM, Moxie Marlinspike wrote:
> I think there are commercial solutions which approximate what you're
> talking about, too, but they're super expensive.

The one you're thinking about is probably CobraNet
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CobraNet). However, they use a separate
ethertype, not IP.

Ignoring the IP stack allows you to strictly control buffering, which
can really cut down on jitter. Of course, in a heterogeneous home
network environment, there will be all kinds of crazy variations that
complicate the picture.

Nonetheless, if you want to solve the jitter / quality problem in a
fashion other than the age-old "throw a crapton of buffer at it" method,
crafting your own ethernet protocol can be the answer.

--Casey