[Noisebridge-discuss] a networked sound system idea

John Adams jna at retina.net
Wed Oct 13 00:32:21 UTC 2010

On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 3:00 PM,
<travis+ml-noisebridge at subspacefield.org> wrote:

> 3) Requires you to use their hardware & speakers
>   Pretty much implicit with their networking technology

Their hardware, yes, but not their speakers. You plug it into your stereo.

> 4) Can't share it with people for free the way I could if I wrote it

Yeah, because I'm so certain that people want to compile their stereos
before they get to listen to music. ;)

I've had it with home grown stereo systems. I want my hardware to
'just work', and I don't want to have to rewrite the code to do basic
things like hear an mp3 or watch a video.

> 5) Not clearly an open design
>   Perhaps there is a way to hook my IDS into it, but not sure.

Yeah, it's called the "audio in" port that exists on their hardware.
Audio that goes in that port can be picked up by any part of the
system, on any node.

> 6) Not F/LOSS - runs on Mac and Win, not Lin

If you must run Linux, the Sonos boxes can mount Samba shares from the
linux system. Controlling Sonos, is another issue.

-j