[Noisebridge-discuss] Full disk encryption - compare / contrast?

weasel at meer.net weasel at meer.net
Tue Oct 19 21:16:20 UTC 2010

Douglas Worley <daworley at gmail.com> a écrit :

> I am working on a project that includes rolling out full disk encryption as
> part of a cross platform Windows/Mac and maybe Linux deployment.  So far the
> biggest contenders are WinMagic and PGPDisk.
>
> Does anybody have experience with these tools?  Any first hand experience
> with them in the trenches?

some of the drives have firmware based encryption as well, but at
least one of them had an embarassing failure recently (key management
is a pain).

> And peripheral to this discussion... where should I research weaknesses in
> AES versus PGP encryption?  My googling is not showing anything super recent
> or useful.

i'm pretty sure that 'modern' pgp (for a definition of 'modern' as
being ~10yrs) will use aes rather than their own thing any more.

there was a somewhat recent result about the aes key schedule w/
256bit keys, but i'm not enough of a theorhetician to know how
problematic this is.

   http://eprint.iacr.org/2010/023.pdf

\p