[Noisebridge-discuss] stop a car remotely, win $200-500k (HERF gun time?)

travis+ml-noisebridge at subspacefield.org travis+ml-noisebridge at subspacefield.org
Sat Sep 4 17:27:34 UTC 2010

This is mil/gov, but I figure it's worth repeating anyway since the
prize is so big...

Project Description: Create a prototype system or device capable of
bringing a single medium-sized vehicle traveling at 100 Kmh (or less)
to a complete stop for five minutes while maintaining a standoff
distance of 100 meters.  The system must immediately neutralize or
incapacitate vehicles without causing permanent injury, death, or
gross physical destruction.  The stopping means must be non-lethal and
to the maximum extent practicable, reversible.  "Non-lethal" and
"reversible" are defined below.

DefenseSolutions.gov will be open for the submission of ideas on the
two posted Joint Non-lethal Weapons topics until 5 pm Eastern Daylight
Time (EDT) Thursday, 30 September 2010. Individuals or companies may
submit ideas regarding these topics electronically, directly from the
site. Early idea submission is encouraged.

http://www.defensesolutions.gov/needs_nonlethal_weapons.html

===

I'm thinking that a directed E/M weapon might do it to interrupt
engine timing circuitry or engine control electronics.  You'd need a
heck of a power source, and a very good way to focus the beam.  But
hey, that's just an engineering detail right?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_weapon

Here's a fun video, a very crude version of the idea:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoOT2_Z-GIE

It's probably non-ionizing radiation, but I still wouldn't want to
be near it. ;-)
--
It asked me for my race, so I wrote in "human". -- The Beastie Boys