[Noisebridge-discuss] Ike's Place last day today - Open till midnight - Street Party

Aaron Muszalski sfslim at gmail.com
Mon Sep 13 21:49:57 UTC 2010

Psst! Impromptu street party outside of Ike's Place tonight. 16th & Sanchez.
Bring your appetite & spread the word!

Musical performers are especially desired. If you're a musician, street
performer or in a band, come out and help show Ike & Co. how much we're
going to miss them (while also showing the neighbors what we think of
NIMBYism!)

What's all this about? Ike's Place http://ilikeikesplace.com/ is San
Francisco's best sandwich shop - doubly so for vegetarians and vegans, with
a massive menu of signature sandwiches, like the "Meatless Mike", "Not
Tonight I Have a Headache" and the limited edition "Doctor Popular". With
great food and superlative service, Ike's quickly became a vibrant and
popular hub for hungry San Franciscans.

Unfortunately, this success has been their downfall, as their NIMBYite
neighbors have decided that, despite having chosen to rent adjacent to a
pre-exisiting commercially zoned location, they don't actually like people,
business, or crowds. Sigh. (Personally I'd love to live above or next door
to Ike's - the flow of hungry, happy people they attract is *exactly* why I
choose to live in a city. A good friend of ours does live there in fact, and
loves it for all of the reasons that the most vocal objectors don't.) But
sadly this is neither here nor there. Ike's must close its doors tonight at
midnight.

Plans for the future definitely include a return to SF, capital allowing. In
the meantime, Ike will be focusing on his wildly successful (and most
definitely welcomed) second "Ike's Place" location in Stanford. Their nom
gain is our loss!

So tonight let's send Ike and his employees off in weird, rousing SF style!

now until midnight