[Noisebridge-discuss] 9/14 + 9/15: Join the Eyebeam Roadshow San Jose for a MAKE-A-THON!

stephanie pereira stephanie at eyebeam.org
Tue Sep 14 03:47:19 UTC 2010

Hello,

I am writing to update you on ongoing workshop opportunities at the
Eyebeam Roadshow space in South Hall, San Jose as part of 01SJ.

  -- First & Most Important / Exciting -->  We are putting a call out
for all hands on deck: Our Ticket Machine project is still open for
some serious building!

If you or some list you know ;) is a hacker, tinkerer, designer, or
engineer you are invited to join us anytime during the periods listed
below to create an element of our electrically driven Rube Goldberg
machine! We have 1 machine of 5 built, and are eager to reveal
something wonderful at the festival on Thursday. Anyone involved gets
their name on the project, and will forever go down in internet fame
as a collaborator on it.

All the deets below.

-- We also have a few other projects -->  Over the course of the
festival period (Thurs.–Sun.) we are offering some totally cool
activities:

• A two-afternoon workshop where you will build your own personal
power plant

• A three-nighter where you can learn to use Greasemonkey to create
crazy cool Firefox plug-ins

• A beautiful Saturday morning journey and walking tour of the Alviso
wet-lands to collect run-off from a water treatment plant

Complete descriptions follow.

Thank-you for your time, and thank-you in advance for sharing this
message with friends, collaborators and lists!

Stephanie @ Eyebeam Art + Technology Center

====

/// Ticket Machine Makeathon! ///

Drop-in anytime during these hours:
Tues, Sept. 15, 12-8PM
Weds. Sept. 16, 9AM-5PM

James Stone (CADRE alum, currently a grad student at Penn State), a
new media artist working in robotics and physical computing, will be
joining the Roadshow team to work with us to finish Kaho Abe's Ticket
Machine.

The Ticket Machine is a collaborative Rube Goldberg installation which
starts with a coin drop and ends with a receipt-printer that prints
out a ticket; between the coin and the printer are any number of
electronically or mechanically triggered elements. Collaborators will
create each element of the Rube Goldberg machine, that is triggered by
the machine before it and will trigger the machine after it - the only
rule is that the machine has to reset itself. The workshop will use
simple sensors, triggers, and recycled machine parts, and the Arduino
Mega to connect all the machine elements.

We are looking for tinkerers, hackers, engineers, and designers to
wrap this puppy up. Some experience with physical computing and
machine hacking required. Teams of 2 or 3 can sign up together, in
which case, only one team member has to understand the hacking
components. We expect an team of two will need at least 4 hours to
complete a project.

Contact stephanie at eyebeam.org to get involved!

Check out this video to see what we have already in action: http://vimeo.com/14904301

===> Other workshops and events during the festival period ===>

PERSONAL POWERPLANT v3
workshops with Mouna Andraos & fluxxlab

$20 materials fee

Workshop #1: Thursday, September 16 - Friday, September 17, 12-5pm
Workshop #2: Saturday, September 18 - Sunday, September 19, 12-5pm

In this workshop, participants will assemble and take home their own
Personal PowerPlant. The Personal powerPlant is a portable device that
harnesses electricity through a hand crank generator (with solar cell
option) into a rechargeable battery for use in powering portable
electronic devices through a USB terminal.  The workshop will begin
with an introduction to circuit basics and a group discussion on
sustainable energy harvesting.  Personal powerPlant DIY kits will be
available for purchase during the workshop.  The first version of the
kit (v1) can be seen on the Instructables website - http://www.instructables.com/id/personal-powerPlant/
.

This workshop is for: Anyone curious, teen-adult; or pre-teens with
adult collaborators

Register here: http://01sj.org/2010/attend/workshops/personal-power-plant/

ALVISO'S MEDICINAL ALL-SALT
guided tours and demonstration with Jon Cohrs (Eyebeam Fellow) and
Morgan Levy

Drop-in demonstrations: Thursday, September 16 & Sunday, September 19,
1-3pm
Guided Tours: Friday, September 17, 11am-2pm & Saturday, September 18,
11am-2pm

All-Salt is a unique low-dosage cocktail of our most commonly used
drugs, all brought together in one simple salt remedy. Our process
harvests two popular commodities, sea salt and recycled
pharmaceuticals from water treatment plants, to produce All-Salt: a
medicinal salt for every condition, hand harvested and sun dried for
purity.

At the 01SJ Biennial, All-Salt founders will build and operate on-site
salt evaporation ponds, offer up samples of their fine product,
provide tours of South San Francisco Bay harvesting waters and
industrial salt ponds, and provide information on the medicinal bounty
supplied by the yet-unregulated pharmaceutical disposal industry. http://www.all-salt.com

These events are for: Anyone curious, all ages.

Register for the tours here: http://01sj.org/2010/attend/workshops/reuptake-salt/

LEARN: GREASEMONKEY & MAKE YOUR OWN FIREFOX PLUGINS
with Michael Mandiberg

(1) Three-evening workshop:
Friday, September 17 5:30-7pm
Saturday, September 18 & Sunday, September 19, 3:30-5PM

This workshop will teach you how to do things to web pages after they
load. For example replacing dollars with barrels of oil (http://oilstandard.org
), ads with art (http://add-art.org), or, say, every mention of Eddie
Van Halen with a picture of him flying through the air.

This workshop is for adults and teens. Prerequisites: Javascript or
other scripting or programming language experience

Register here: http://01sj.org/2010/attend/workshops/firefox-plugins-and-greasemonkey/

URBAN PROGRAMMING 101: STAGE DIRECTIONS
discussion with Taeyoon Choi

Saturday, September 18, 2:30-4PM

In this performative lecture and discussion Taeyoon Choi and invited
artists will examine ideas presented in Taeyoon's new project 'Urban
Programming 101: Stage Directions'. Excerpt text from the book: "There
is a logical system in which urban spaces operate; therefore it is
understood as a 'program'. 'Programming' urban space means controlling
your urban experience and producing your space...I realized producing
an alternative space is indifferent to experimenting alternative
politics. I'd like to take you on a journey of thinking creatively and
critically about urban space, hoping there still is a space for
intervention and creative community." www.urbanprogram.info

This lecture + discussion is for: Anyone curious, teen–adult

Register here: http://01sj.org/2010/attend/workshops/urban-programming-101-stage-directions/

--
Stephanie Pereira
education coordinator