[Noisebridge-discuss] Tor education

Glen Jarvis glen at glenjarvis.com
Tue Sep 28 16:32:58 UTC 2010

As much as the recent drama has been worrisome, I learned a lot from recent thread.

To show my ignorance, I only heard of Thor via noisebridge and I had filed it in my brain under 'napster, bittorrent, etc.' category in my brain. Obviously I didn't know what it was. However, as long as it's filed in that compartment in my brain, there was no reason for me to explore more (I'm not much of a bit torrent kind of person - just don't have the need for some reason).

But, now I see Tor as a way of privacy on the Internet. I see value in this philosophically (although I'm also the kind of person who uses Gmail and google apps for everything, so I can't worry too much about my personal privacy).

The Internet has been unique (both good and bad) due to it's peer-to-peer uncontrolled nature. This may be changing, and I see great value for something like Tor (the little I know of it). I'm considering learning about and running a relay mode.

I know something like this can be very helpful for distribution of uncontrolled information outside of unethical political control. However, I imagine it may also be used for one person to harm another :(

I'd like a full Tor 101 basic introduction. I've configured DNS servers, web servers, etc .... But I'd like a little hand holding for a few hours in one session so we can go over the ethics, technology, and configuration. After the intro, we can always RTFM.

Glen