[Noisebridge-discuss] Tor education

travis+ml-noisebridge at subspacefield.org travis+ml-noisebridge at subspacefield.org
Tue Sep 28 17:24:16 UTC 2010

On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 09:32:58AM -0700, Glen Jarvis wrote:
> I'd like a full Tor 101 basic introduction. I've configured DNS
  servers, web servers, etc .... But I'd like a little hand holding
  for a few hours in one session so we can go over the ethics,
  technology, and configuration. After the intro, we can always RTFM.

I think that'd be a great idea.

If someone (perhaps the tor dev) wanted to give a talk, you could also
find a receptive audience at BAHA (which meets at noisebridge) and
DC650.  I'm trying to find a talk for BAHA's next meeting (2nd
Sunday).  (BAHA URL is not well-indexed; it's baha.bitrot.info)

One part could be the history, which goes: Chaum mixes, anon
remailers, cypherpunk remailers, mixmaster, CROWDS and then TOR.

(TOR == The Onion Router)

Also, a discussion of privacy attacks against tor would be useful.
I've learned a lot by browsing the docs online, but they aren't very
clearly structured, IMHO.

It may surprise some people that it came out of ONR.  But on thinking
about it, I believe there's a good reason why the military would want
anonymous web browsing.

I'll offer to fill in any areas that others don't want to cover, but
don't want to steal anyone's thunder.  If someone else has the
expertise and interest, I'll gladly defer :-)