[Noisebridge-discuss] Donation of some Soekris hardware

Jonathan Lassoff jof at thejof.com
Mon Sep 6 18:09:08 UTC 2010

On Mon, Sep 6, 2010 at 10:24 AM, Will <wglozer at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Noisebridgers!
>
> I'm moving overseas soon and must minimize my hardware collection. I
> have two Soekris systems in like-new condition, including cases, power
> supplies and more:
>
> net4521 - complete with high-power 802.11b card, external patch
> antenna, and hardware crypto board!
> net4801 - just by it's lonesome self
>
> For those of you not familiar with Soekris, they're lovely little
> x86-compatible network platforms with no moving parts:
> http://www.soekris.com/index.htm. They make fabulous firewalls,
> programmable wifi APs, etc.
>
> Would Noisebridge accept these as a donation? I don't want to
> contribute to the junk problem and they are a bit obsolete but very
> useful in the right hands.

Wow! What a great offer Will! Noisebridge's existing network runs on a
soekris net4801 and net4501, and I'd love to be able to upgrade the
4501 to a 4801. If you'd be willing to donate them to Noisebridge, I'm
sure they will be looked after and used for infrastructure in the
space.

If your laptop still works, has an external power supply, and VGA
output, we could really use it to drive one of the touchscreens in the
space. We have some older laptops that were running some, but they've
gotten to the point where they just regularly kernel panic, so several
are out-of-commission.

I can't speak for the Playstations or hard drive, but someone else may
have some project ideas for them.

I'll be around Noisebridge some time today around lunch and early
afternoon if you're thinking of coming by. Otherwise, you can drop
this stuff off in the "donations" area near the elevator.

Let me know if you'd like some material to prepare a tax write-off for
the materials.

Cheers,
jof