[Noisebridge-discuss] has anyone used a gsm cellphone module from sparkfun to build a cellphone?

Christie Dudley longobord at gmail.com
Sat Sep 11 03:18:33 UTC 2010

Yes, prepaid phones are subsidized by the carrier, so you can get them
cheaper than you can assemble them.  They work very hard to make sure
it is difficult to unlock them from their prepaid network, so they
have the opportunity to recoup their costs.

Realistically, all you need for a functional cell phone is a speaker,
mic, keypad, codec and gsm module.  A little memory for the keypad, a
display and a ringer would be handy, too.  SMS support would take
considerably more.  I think it'd be an interesting exercise assembling
the component parts to roll your own.

Christie
_______
"Would you rather be a lion in captivity and live 24 years, or in the
wild and live 10-14 years? Answer the question every morning then look
at your condition." -- Nassim N Taleb