[Noisebridge-discuss] noisebridge's birthday!

Josh Myer josh at joshisanerd.com
Sun Sep 12 05:10:27 UTC 2010

On Sat, Sep 11, 2010 at 10:02 PM, Jonathan Lassoff <jof at thejof.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 11, 2010 at 7:32 PM, Moxie Marlinspike
> <moxie at thoughtcrime.org> wrote:
> >
> > I was planning on throwing an event elsewhere in early October that
> > might work well as a noisebridge anniversary if people were interested
> > in having it at noisebridge.
> >
> > The idea is inspired by a project I saw from folks in the UK.  The rough
> > concept would be this:
> >
> > People show up to the event at a specific time and pay $10 to get in.
> > The entire event is then deciding what to do with the money.  So if 100
> > people show, you've got $1000 to spend.  You could blow it all on booze
> > right then, buy a bouncycastle, invest in a fleet of kayaks, or
> > literally whatever people decide.
>
> Moxie, this sounds like a blast!
>
> A couple complications spring to mind:
>
>  - Noisebridge charging money to get in. I would think that some
> people would object to having to pay to get in. Perhaps if there was a
> separate, cordoned-off area, people could enjoy the space while paid
> attendees can still be differentiated.

What about selling people wristbands or another token of participation to
differentiate?  Cordoning off any area of noisebridge is liable to be
inconvenient for someone who needs access to ${FOO} \in { things that live
within the Nonparticipant Exclusion Zone }

Totally rad idea, technicalities notwithstanding.
--
/jbm