[Noisebridge-discuss] has anyone used a gsm cellphone module from sparkfun to build a cellphone?

Thomas Stowe stowe.thomas at gmail.com
Thu Sep 16 19:31:52 UTC 2010

Today, so many technologies are built that we can read summaries of the
technologies on the web, patents on the technologies and also ask a
scientist in physics or microelectronics "how it might be done" but in many
ways, building or disassembling a phone or another electronic device isn't
going to tell you how it works. You might be able to learn enough to find a
hardware or software hack that works with it or a new way to apply it into
another technology (cell module into a car for example) but with the way
that the laws like the DMCA reverse-engineering prevent people from taking
things apart and companies protect their secrets by mislabeling, not
labeling or obfuscated which part does what I also don't think that taking
apart a phone or wireless modem would give you a great deal of insight into
how it works. For a rival cellular phone company or government organization
to reverse engineer it, they'd already have the knowledge and understanding
of similar technologies and have the equipment and resources to take it
apart, part by part and experts would test it to figure out what plays what
role each part plays in that device doing what it does. It's a matter of
resources and expert knowledge. It can be done but putting one together
won't help you more than to understand that the battery is connected to the
board which leads to the display, keypad, speaker, microphone and
transceiver. You might be able to make it into art if you were disassembling
it or assembling it and it broke, though. :D
I'd thought about building my own phone or getting a kit that would allow
you to build a phone that you could program a phone to do what you want or
build into something else but unless you want to spend more money than
buying even a droid phone or apple iphone just to say that you did it, why
bother? A DIY phone kit still has to be connected to the phone networks and
all of those are partnered with phone manufacturers. It'd be cool to do if
there was some kind of free or cheap cellular service that were compatible
with any phone that could handle a specific frequency and handshake into the
network. You could always build a set of phones that handle encryption or
that transfer data in audio, though. GSMs been around for awhile and if you
search for an hour or two with Google you can probably find some good info
on it. Personally I think it's a waste of money unless you have a goal in
mind and a plan to ensure that it will work.

The information transmitted in this communication is intended only for the
person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential
and/or privileged information. Any review, retransmission, dissemination,
copying or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this
information, or any part thereof, by persons or entities other than the
intended recipient, is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you
received this in error, please contact the sender immediately and delete and
destroy this communication and all copies thereof, including all
attachments.