[Noisebridge-discuss] Recommendations for home firewall?

Joel Jaeggli joelja at bogus.com
Sun Sep 19 18:39:16 UTC 2010

On 9/19/10 10:57 AM, David Stein wrote:
> For years, I've been using pfsense on a PC Engines WRAP system as a
> home firewall.  Now that pfsense is based on nanobsd, the WRAP board
> becomes a little cumbersome.  It's time to move on.  Any
> recommendations?
>
> DD-WRT seems really popular.  Perhaps on something from Netgear?  A
> combination firewall + 4 port switch + wireless access point + cable
> modem would be great.  Never seen one though.

cable modems are basically ethernet/docsis termination devices... your
overall sanity will greatly inrease if you keep the functionality
seperate as the modem is meant to be configured from the cable side.
while you're at it you can get a docsis 3.0 modem and be prepared for
both higher speeds and ipv6

> I definitely want something that I can upgrade without taking the CF
> card out and reflashing it.  Right now I need a screwdriver to take
> apart my little WRAP system each time an upgrade comes out so I can
> get at the flash card.

if you want to fiddle with openwrt,

http://ubnt.com/rspro

is a very cool board

by the time you add radios an enclosure and poe injector, it's a bit
spendier than they describe but it's a cool piece of hardware.