[Noisebridge-discuss] Recommendations for home firewall?

Thomas Stowe stowe.thomas at gmail.com
Sun Sep 19 23:43:06 UTC 2010

Another cool thing to note is that some of the higher-end hardware (not
necessarily expense-wise) has more resources available (more than 400mhz for
a processor and a more useful ram size. Whether it's an atom, dual atom,
celeron, athlon or whatever processor machine or other hardware. This is not
only good for running specific security and filtering software but if you
want to run a VPN to encrypt / route all traffic through private servers or
route all traffic to a remote machine / network it's a must. I use this kind
of setup for a couple of my machines and though it can be deployed behind a
switch, it can be a pain. I've also read about routing solutions done inside
a VM and if you're doing that on a fast computer with a wireless connection
for your Internet/network access on it and two gigabit lan interfaces (Cards
or whatever) to handle the routing traffic it's possible, reliable and fast
compared to some other hardware solutions.

The information transmitted in this communication is intended only for the
person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential
and/or privileged information. Any review, retransmission, dissemination,
copying or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this
information, or any part thereof, by persons or entities other than the
intended recipient, is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you
received this in error, please contact the sender immediately and delete and
destroy this communication and all copies thereof, including all
attachments.