[Noisebridge-discuss] Recommendations for home firewall?

travis+ml-noisebridge at subspacefield.org travis+ml-noisebridge at subspacefield.org
Tue Sep 21 22:54:49 UTC 2010

This isn't a solution for your situation - an embedded device, but
since you mentioned pfsense, I thought I'd plug this:

http://www.subspacefield.org/security/dfd/

Specifically, see the transcript here:

http://www.subspacefield.org/security/dfd_keeper/

It has many uses which aren't entirely obvious - even to network
security nerds.  For example, automagically doing port-forwarding for
things that require it (see the mailing list archives for a short
python script which detects and does port forwarding for bittorrent).

Once I figure out how to create a good visualization of what it's
doing, I may do some kind of demo one day.  Suggestions welcome.

I am also looking for someone to take over (own) the dfd_tbk project,
which is the Linux/iptables port.  I think with someone else doing
similar work, we could probably come up with a much better product.
The Linux version could probably be made to work on dd-wrt, tomato,
openwrt, or whatever stripped down Linux firmware is out there these
days.

PS: If you've got a WRT54G, don't try to install the latest openwrt.
Linux dropped support for the broadcom chipset used in WRT54G, so you
need to install white russian.  I wasted a few hours on two occasions
trying to figure this out (and remember what I had figured out once
already).

Also, plan on replacing the WAP every 2-5 years; the transceivers
seem to become flaky.  Apart from spinning hard disks and fans,
xceivers seem to be the most common component failures I've seen.