[Noisebridge-discuss] Unwelcome person at noisebridge

Shannon Lee shannon at scatter.com
Mon Sep 20 17:31:27 UTC 2010

I think it's important to remember that while schizoid personalities can be
very upsetting, especially to those of us whose interpersonal toolkit is
built primarily around rational discourse, they're very rarely actually
dangerous; as the saying goes, they're more afraid of you than you are of
them.  Being calm, giving clear instruction, and remembering that talking
rationally won't make them more rational (just like talking louder won't
make someone understand english) are all helpful, as is hanging onto a sense
of whimsy.

Dr. Bobby in particular response to Authority; in this case, the fact that I
happened to be wearing a tie probably helped.  He seemed to respond to
gentle persuasion by attempting to express Authority -- a straightforward
dominance play:  If you're not telling him what to do, he will try to tell
you what to do.

I'm not sure that there's anything that we can do to prevent having crazy
people in the space, except making the space more tightly filtered -- and
that does not seem worth the price to me.

--S

Shannon Lee
(503) 539-3700